Australia’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence Richard Marles and Papua New Guinea’s Minister for Defence Elias Kapavore met Sunday in Port Moresby for their first ministerial meeting. During their discussions Marles congratulated Minister Kapavore on his recent appointment as Minister for Defence, and the two ministers reaffirmed the close and enduring partnership between Australia and Papua New Guinea.
The Pukpuk Treaty – which entered into force on 8 July 2026 – is Papua New Guinea’s first alliance with any country, and Australia’s first in more than 70 years. Building on decades of cooperation, ministers spoke about opportunities to further deepen defence ties and implement priority initiatives under the Pukpuk Treaty, including the development of a recruitment pathway to enable PNG citizens to join the Australian Defence Force (ADF).
Australia and PNG continue to demonstrate the strength of the defence partnership between the two nations through recent cooperation activities such as Exercise Puk Puk 2026, which brings together military engineers from the PNG Defence Force (PNGDF) and ADF to deliver infrastructure upgrades at Igam Barracks in Lae; a PNGDF-led mission to transport essential health supplies to communities in West Sepik; hydrographic survey operations conducted by HMAS Leeuwin in partnership with the PNGDF Maritime Element; and the participation of two PNGDF aircraft in last month’s Exercise Pitch Black 2026.
Australia and Papua New Guinea remain committed to working together to support a peaceful, stable and prosperous region in which sovereignty is respected.
Marles said: “It was a pleasure to meet Minister Kapavore and congratulate him on his appointment as Papua New Guinea’s Minister for Defence. Australia and Papua New Guinea are the closest of partners and friends, and now allies. With the Pukpuk Treaty now in force, we are focused on the next phase of our partnership and delivering practical outcomes that strengthen cooperation between our defence forces and advance our shared security interests. I look forward to working with Minister Kapavore to progress the Papua New Guinea recruitment pathway to the ADF, with a shared aspiration to have a pilot program well underway next year.”
Kapavore said: “It has been a pleasure hosting Deputy Prime Minister Marles in Papua New Guinea; our discussions were open and meaningful, befitting of allies with a deep and shared history. Implementing the Pukpuk Treaty is one of my highest priorities and I look forward to working with Deputy Prime Minister Marles and our nations’ officials to finalise the priority arrangements and practical outcomes. The recruitment of Papua New Guineans to the ADF is momentous and will further strengthen our enduring bond. I’m pleased to say that Deputy Prime Minister Marles and I believe we can deliver the first pilot program in 2027.”
Marles also held meetings in the Solomon Islands with Matthew Wale, Prime Minister of Solomon Islands. He also met with senior ministers to build on discussions during Prime Minister Wale’s visit to Australia in May, and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Foreign Minister Senator Penny Wong’s visit to Solomon Islands in July.
The Deputy Prime Minister joined Solomon Islands Government ministers in opening the Western Border Outpost in the Shortland Islands. The Western Border Outpost is a joint infrastructure project between the Australian and Solomon Islands governments. The new facility brings together Royal Solomon Islands Police Force, Customs, Immigration, and Biosecurity officials in a single location. The Outpost will also support Solomon Islands’ Guardian-class Patrol Boats, while enhancing border security and maritime surveillance.












