August 7, 2015
Release # 20150807
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Aug. 6, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted six airstrikes using bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted nine airstrikes coordinated with the Government of Iraq using attack, fighter-attack, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
Coalition forces and Iraqi security forces now dictate the pace of operations in the region.
“The coalition, in coordination with the YPG, has conducted 15 airstrikes in the vicinity of Al Hasakah this week,” said Col. Wayne Marotto, CJTF-OIR public affairs officer. “These airstrikes have had a decimating effect on Daesh terrorists and have allowed the YPG to establish greater control of the city.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
· Near Al Hasakah, one airstrike struck ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions.
· Near Aleppo, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL staging area and destroyed two ISIL excavators.
· Near Ayn Isa, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
· Near Dayr Az Zawr, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL excavator.
· Near Al Huwayjah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Fallujah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Makhmur, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed 23 ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL vehicles and two ISIL heavy machine guns.
· Near Mosul, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL rocket system.
· Near Ramadi, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL fighting positons, two ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL bunker.
· Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL light machine gun.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.