July 8, 2015
Release # 20150708
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On July 7, Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted 11 airstrikes using bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 14 airstrikes approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense using attack, fighter, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
“Coalition airstrikes target Daesh units, weapon systems, and fighting positions,” said Lt. Col. Thomas Gilleran, CJTF-OIR spokesman. “Such strikes significantly weaken Daesh and provide a tactical advantage to our partners on the ground in Syria and Iraq.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
· Near Al Hasakah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL vehicles, two ISIL bunkers and five ISIL fighting positions.
· Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Kobani, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Tal Abyad, five airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL fighting position and two ISIL structures.
· Near Fallujah, one airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit, destroying two ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL mortar.
· Near Haditha, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL VBIED, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL front end loader.
· Near Kirkuk, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
· Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
· Near Mosul, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
· Near Ramadi, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL VBIED.
· Near Sinjar, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, and two ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL light machine guns, four ISIL heavy machine guns, three ISIL vehicles, 11 ISIL buildings, an ISIL anti-aircraft weapon, an ISIL VBIED and an ISIL C2 Node.
· Near Tal Afar, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL light machine gun three ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL bunker.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.