NORSTA Maritime Pty Ltd has been formally announced as the successful tenderer to deliver the Australian Navy’s first “Regional Maintenance Provider” contract. The contract is part of the Navy’s Plan Galileo Future Maritime Sustainment Model (FMSM), focusing on investing in Australian SME’s and local industry. NORSTA is committed to fully supporting the education and training providers to develop the next generation of workers needed by the Navy and the new fleet they are building. A strong focus on apprenticeships, up skilling, increased local industry capacity and safety is at the forefront of NORSTA’s vision for the maritime industry in North Queensland. The Navy and NORSTA Maritime will work together to:
- Program and coordinate the maintenance of navy vessels in North-Eastern Australia, and the Pacific region
- Build capability and capacity in the regional maritime supply chains to support future maintenance activities and to meet Naval vessel operational availability requirements,
- Develop a supply chain ecosystem to ensure sustainment programs are achieved and Navy vessels remain operationally ready and capable,
- Develop Sovereign Industry Capability and Capacity which will generate significant additional job opportunities regionally.
NORSTA’s Board Chairman Maurie McNarn, said: “NORSTA is excited to be selected as the first Regional Maintenance Provider to deliver maintenance services to the Royal Australian Navy under its Future Maritime Sustainment Model. NORSTA brings together the long-standing Cairns maritime businesses of Norship and Tropical Reef Shipyard into a Joint Venture to deliver a truly regional maritime maintenance support solution for the Navy. The NORSTA team will also be supported by two outstanding Australian companies Nova Systems and SECORA. Nova Systems and SECORA bring engineering excellence and change management to the RMP-NE and these two companies are committed to working with NORSTA in building regional capability and capacity.”
NORSTA’s Program Manager Neil Sparks, said: “With a proud regional heritage that originates from two long standing local ship repair companies, NORSTA is, and has been heavily invested in the North Queensland region for many decades. NORSTA is committed to maximising the development of regional capability and capacity in maritime maintenance.” NORSTA will do this through:
- Reducing the barriers for small businesses to access Defence work,
- Assist industry in developing capability and capacity,
- Support the uptake of emerging technologies in the maritime industry,
- The ongoing support of skills development and engagement with local suppliers and subcontractors.