July 23, 2015
Release # 20150723
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On July 22, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted seven airstrikes using fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 11 airstrikes approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense using attack, fighter-attack, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
“Coalition airstrikes are supporting Iraqi-planned and led ground operations around the Anbar capital Ramadi, specifically targeting Daesh fighting positions and weapons,” said Col. Wayne Marotto, CJTF-OIR chief of public affairs. “Coalition Air Power is proving to be a great enabler in the fight to retake Ramadi.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
· Near Al Hasakah, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and two small ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL bunkers, 12 ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Kobani, four airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, an ISIL small tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL VBIED and five ISIL fighting positions.
· Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL command and control node.
· Near Haditha, one airstrike destroyed two ISIL vehicles.
· Near Makhmur, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL mortar position and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL rocket position and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and an ISIL small tactical unit and destroyed seven ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL heavy weapons and an ISIL mortar position.
· Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL heavy weapon.
· Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL excavator and five ISIL bunkers.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.