Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Sep. 17, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted five airstrike using fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted nine airstrikes coordinated with the government of Iraq using, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
· Near Ar Hasakah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL cache, three ISIL fighting positions and one ISIL motorcycle.
· Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL checkpoint.
· Near Manbij, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL mortar tube.
· Near Mar’a, one airstrike struck a large ISIL tactical unit.
· Near Al Huwayjah, one airstrike with inconclusive results.
· Near Baji, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed one ISIL vehicle.
· Near Kirkuk, one airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit.
· Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions, one ISIL heavy machine gun.
· Near Ramadi, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Rawah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
· Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and one ISIL excavator.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.