www.landforces.com.auSaab Australia’s new global export programs will provide up to $25 million in revenue opportunities to its Australian SME partners and a pathway to global supply chains, with the in-country design and manufacture of its combat management system Multi Function Consoles (MFC).

Saab Australia Managing Director, Andy Keough, said Saab’s locally designed and manufactured MFCs will be exported into defence programs across the globe. “Working closely with Australian industry, academia and end-users, our Adelaide based hardware team fully designed and developed a new console. We have established a highly capable local supply chain to manufacture a now globally leading combat management system MFC,” Keough said. “Together, we’re supporting the growth of Australia’s sovereign defence industry and in-country capability, and with Saab’s expanding portfolio of high-tech global export programs we will continue to provide opportunities for our local industry partners, as well as strong pathways into global supply chains.” 

Saab began the design and development of a new generation of MFCs in 2018 to support the unique requirements of Australia’s newest surface fleet, and Saab’s design and integration of the Situational Awareness System (SAS) for the Arafura Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) Program. The new console design balances technical requirements, time and cost efficiency with operational effectiveness and sustainability – made possible by partnerships with local industry, including Applidyne for specialist engineering, and with academia through Saab’s partnership with the University of South Australia and their Human Factors and Ergonomic studies.

Combined with a proven local manufacturing supply chain, and after successful capability testing and demonstration, this new generation of MFC is now being manufactured in country by SAGE Automation. The in-country design and manufacture of Saab’s MFCs now represent over 60 per cent Australian industry content, with the remaining 40 percent representing Saab’s design and personnel expertise in Australia. While the new generation MFC was initially developed for the Australian OPV, leveraging over 30 years of innovative combat system design, the locally manufactured MFCs have now been globally recognised for their unique and innovative capability and over the coming years Saab will deliver more than 125 units in several export opportunities.

APDR Newsletter

For Editorial Inquiries Contact:
Editor Kym Bergmann at kym.bergmann@venturamedia.net

For Advertising Inquiries Contact:
Director of Sales Graham Joss at graham.joss@venturamedia.net

Previous articleS. Korea selects Boeing support for 3 defence platforms
Next articleFrance and Spain launch Tiger MkIII programme


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here